Saturday, May 30, 2009

Roadside Spectacle

The morning commute is never the same. I leave my house every morning anxious about what I'm about the endure on the 20 mile journey to the office. Some mornings I inhale deeply as I approach the on ramp to the Blue Route and can let out a huge sigh of relief as a line of swiftly moving vehicles comes into site. That's usually a sign that the rest of the drive will be a breeze. Other days I can't even see the highway and I'm already creeping along and gripping the steering wheel with a hint of aggression.

Overall I've become immune to it either way. I eat my banana, turn up the radio, stay alert and attentive, and just drive until I get to the office. I've observed that there are two general categories of drivers I encounter during the daily expedition.

1) The Jerks. Including but not limited to tailgating, quick and excessive lane changing, late merging, speeding particularly in unsafe areas such as construction zones, and driving on the shoulder. This category often includes a large number of Lexus, Benz, and BMW drivers. For some reason it's assumed (by them) that wherever they are heading is far more important than where I'm heading.

2) Sucks to be You. These folks would be your flat tire, smoking engines, unable to merge in a tough spot, and accident victims. The overall bad day kinda stuff.

Last week I spotted a guy I just can't place in either. He was traveling in a truck that was covered with the logo for some moving company, so I assume he was working. The traffic was actually moving along nicely that day, probably averaging 40-45 mph. There was a huge sign clearly within in view " Exit 3 Media/Swartmore. 1/2 mile." All the sudden he changes into the right lane then proceeds to pull off onto the shoulder. He gets out of the truck and pees on the side of the road! I don't need to see this kind of stuff at 8:30am. Man up and hold it or pull off at the next exit. It's not like were in the middle of the PA turnpike and the next exit is 30 miles away. Men!




No comments: