Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Red

Last month I made a trip to Brooklyn to visit my friend Erica.

This was my view on the train ride....

Honestly Red must have worked for New Jersey Transit for 50 years. The ENTIRE ride (90 minutes) he provided a full detailed tour for Blue. The complete history of when the stations were built, what connections could be made, common mistakes made by travelers...The guy knew everything! It really was amusing.

I've always loved the story telling fashion of grandparents/elders. There just something so heartwarming when you hear tales of youth and times unknown, relayed with just enough exaggeration and spice to paint a picture, sinking you deep into the past. I was recently revisting the sentiment of my encounter with Red, leading to my discovery of elderblogging.

Time Goes By is a great site " a complex mix of reporting on every aspect of aging....old people writing on their blogs about past and present lives, interest and passions..." Maybe we could all use a little change of perspective in our day.

When I arrived at Penn Station it became apparent, as Red prompted Blue's preference for a trip to Long Island, a view of the Hudson, or north into Connecticut, that they were just spending the day riding the trains....

No comments: