Thursday, August 9, 2012

Meal Planning for the Veggie Lover

Last weekend we were away with our friends, Jon & Lorraine.  During the week prior Lorraine and I were discussing what we needed to bring and trying to coordinate meals.  It brought up the inevitable question people ask vegetarians, "What do you eat?"  It's a valid question, especially when we are so programed to think of meat as our main dish and veggies as a side item. I remember thinking the same thing when Jim made his declaration last summer.  Although a bit challenging at first, it's not nearly as scary as it sounds.  In fact I rarely even think about incorporating meat into our weekly meal planning now. 

I came across this post on meal planning on No Meat Athlete and thought it had some helpful tips. When I'm trying to come up with ideas I often start with a few high protein sources (quinoa, beans/lentils, eggs) and branch off from there.  Just hit the old internet and search "quinoa recipes" and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the variety of options.   Lately I've been starting with what's available from the garden.  There is nothing like garden fresh veggies!!!  Limiting animal based proteins has been such a positive change in our life.  It forced me to be creative, inspired and innovative with my cooking.   Give it a try.  Start with just one day a week......

1 comment:

Monty James said...

Protein is the key factor for our body so you have o intake it through various protein provider resource.I agree with you on that egg is good protein source but I prefer whey to take in my morning breakfast which give me more energy.
---------------
Fish Oil