Sunday, May 5, 2013

Crockpot rice pudding

This was one of those things I just got a craving for so I looked up a few recipes online and just modified according to what I had on hand. It was really easy and delicious (plus vegan & gluten free!). I think even less sugar would have been fine.  The coconut milk adds a little sweetness plus I personally don't need a super sugary dessert.  Just a little touch of sweetness.  You can definitely adjust the sweetness to your preference.

 

1 can coconut milk
2 1/2 C. Almond milk
1/2 C uncooked rice (not instant)
1 C. Raisins (optional)
2 Tbsp good quality maple syrup
1/4 C. Organic cane sugar
1 Tbsp coconut oil *
1 stick cinnamon **

Lightly coat crockpot with oil or cooking spray (I used coconut oil). Combine ingredients. Cook on high for 4-5 hrs. You can serve warm although I prefer it chilled.

*I'm not sure that it's necessary but a lot of other recipes I looked at called for margarine or butter so I added for good measure.

**I have no idea why I had a whole jar of cinnamon sticks but you could definitely substitute with ground cinnamon. 

No comments: