Sunday, September 15, 2013

"Fear, uncertainty, and discomfort are your compasses toward growth."

Have you ever stuck with something just because it's familiar to you, even though you're not 100% satisfied with it?  I think sometimes we can get into a comfort zone and it causes you to slowly lower your expectations over time.  Like going to the grocery store just around the corner even though the produce is crappy, the prices are high, and there are always long waits at the register.  Even if there's another grocery store just a few minutes further away, you will continue to go to the one that you know best.  Or maybe something big like staying at a job or in a bad living situation.

Last week I made two small changes that were LONG overdue.  I was avoiding them for convenience sake alone.  I went to a new hairdresser and switched Riesling to a new pediatrician.  In both cases I didn't start out unhappy or dissatisfied but now that I made the switch I realized how much I had overlooked in both cases.  I got a way better haircut for about 1/2 the price; it was a lot easier to get an evening appointment;  and I found the new stylist a million times easier to converse.

The pediatrician situation was a whole different ballgame.  Sometimes I think as a healthcare provider myself I somehow expect less out of other doctors.  I know how challenging it can be to find good staff. I know how unreasonable and frustrating insurance companies can be.  I experience first hand all the negative things about being a part of the industry.  But wait a minute, that doesn't mean I provide less than the best care I can to my patients.  Why do I think it's Ok when I'm on the other end?

From the very first visit I didn't love Riesling's pediatrician's office.  But, I didn't necessarily hate it either.  The place was just Ok.  But over the last 18 months it seemed like something happened every visit that made be frustrated, annoyed, or angry.  So after a little research and a wonderful consultation with the owner of the new practice, Riesling and future Baby Robinson have a new pediatrician.  I can not tell you how much this doctor and this practice lifted my spirits and renewed my faith in healthcare.  It's crazy what a little time, energy, and shift in your 'comfort zone' can make.



“Fear, uncertainty and discomfort are your compasses toward growth.” - See more at: http://exploreforayear.com/clarity/45-inspiring-quotes-change#sthash.OdtVHo6Z.dpuf
 
“Fear, uncertainty and discomfort are your compasses toward growth.” - See more at: http://exploreforayear.com/clarity/45-inspiring-quotes-change#sthash.OdtVHo6Z.dpuf

No comments: