Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Who are the people in your neighborhood.....

People come and go.
Our friends and family may be near or far.
Some relationships just fizzle out without reason or cause.
Some stay forever strong through miles and miles.
And there are the people you don't really know but encounter frequently or even daily
your favorite coffee spot.
the grocery store cashier.
the guy who's always on the treadmill next to the one you like best.

To steer myself away from dwelling on all the half way, partially unfinished business on the home front, I'll be spending the next few days highlighting a few folks in my 'neighborhood."

Today...

Introducing George.

George is tall and thin.
His hair is freshly graying.
He is a somewhat temporary addition to our life.
Jim and I feel extremely lucky to have stumble upon George.

He is the man transforming my kitchen ceiling.

Trusting someone else with your home...and your money is a giant leap of faith. We shopped around, got several estimates, chatted it over with friends, and finally decided on George. He had done some work on the house prior to settlement.

He has 30+ yrs of experience.
He's an advocate of hard work.
He's no doubt Republican.
He thinks Jim and I should go to church with him and his wife.

He developed an instant kinship for Jim. Offering to "show him anything he wants to know how to do?" What? Show us how to do the work that we could pay you to do?

Through years of working 7 days a week and making smart investments in rental properties, he's doing contract and electrical work because he loves it. Not because he needs it.
It's comforting to know. No short cuts. No scams.

Did I mention he's a firm believer in hard work?

Jim and George chatted politics, books, and real estate.
George and I chatted about family, future plans, and what the heck I should do with my pink bathroom.
He's conversations are not rushed but not intense.

I can't say enough good things.
There's just something to like about him.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hooray for George. Hard working? Republican? He sounds like my kind of guy! :)