Thursday, April 5, 2012

Food for Thought

I'm working on expanding my gluten free, vegetarian cooking repertoire. I've been searching the web and digging out the cookbooks this week. It's so easy to get stuck in a rut and eat the same thing week after week, especially in a house where we have somehow developed into picky eaters. I find that planning a menu ahead of time for the week is really helpful. I generally plan four meals plus plenty of stuff for salads. You always end up with leftovers, a sushi night, or pulling something easy from the freezer. Weekends depend on what we have planned and I usually don't mind stopping at the store for anything we might need if we decide on a special dinner.

Last night we had rice with spinach casserole and white bean salad. It was really good. The spinach casserole was easy to throw together in the crockpot and reminded me of the stuff inside spanakopita. I added a little garlic and crushed red pepper as recommended in one of the reviews (I also substituted gluten free all purpose flour). And the white bean salad was quick and no fuss. It also made great leftovers for lunch!

Other yummy treats I'm hoping to try soon:
  • A gluten free quiche recipe recommended by a friend awhile back
  • This date puree.
  • Risotto---anyone have a good recipe to share?
  • Homemade granola bars. I tried this recipe awhile back and thought they turned out just Ok.
  • Mac n cheese with peas. Um...that sounds good
  • The perfect veggie burgers for upcoming grill season. I think I'll start with this sweet potato variety.
  • And let's not forget some quick & easy rice pudding.
Any recipes you've been dying to try?

No comments: