Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tacos

Since I was a total slacker in the anniversary gift department, I told Jim I would make him a special dinner of his choosing last night.

kitchen sneak peak with our romantic kitchen island set for two

Tacos was first on his list (he's just so easy to please!). I decided to spruce it up a little bit by making fish tacos and boy oh boy were they delicious!

I started making these after having them at my friend Sarah's and realizing how simple they are. Just season up a few fillets of tilipia with garlic, salt, and a squeeze of lime (I think Sarah used a special Goya fish seasoning too) and cook in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat. Tilipia will start to flake apart once it's cooked, so just kinda chopped it until it's small enough to pile on a taco shell.

Last night I used small corn tortillas (gluten free!) and warmed them in a separate skillet with a wee little bit of olive oil to make them kinda crunchy (but you can always heat them in the microwave for a few seconds). In the past I've used the larger burritto size wraps but I actually think I now prefer the smaller crunchy corn tortillas.

Top with shredded cheese and gaucomole. heavenly!

For our side dish, nachos of course! Spread a layer of tortilla chips (I prefer blue) and layer with black beans, sliced jalopenos, and lots of shredded cheese. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted. Serve with remaining gaucomole and salsa. It was a feast.

more sneak peaks of our brand new countertops!


After 17 long days and nights with no countertops, sink, or working plumbing in our kitchen, our lovely new Silestone countertops in urban cream were installed last weekend. I love them. It's nice to see my vision starting to come together and the kitchen is down the tile backsplash and a handful of smaller projects. But, the way things tend to go in home renovations, one of those 'small' projects could turn into 3 weekends worth of work. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a new kitchen for Christmas!

ps. I'm a big fan of fresh homemade gaucomole, but the last couple batches of avacodos I bought were just no good, so this is a good option for the winter months.






No comments: