Thursday, November 4, 2010

This old house

Joel Baba was a gymnast in the 1952 Olympics.

He also happens to be the original and only previous owner of our house. We actually bought it from his children a few years after he passed away. He was apparently a pretty popular guy in these parts. He was a teacher at the local high school and had a gymnastist school in the area. A lot of people actually asked us if we him and are always sharing little tidbits and stories about Mr. Baba. Jim came across this video when he was stalking the internet for further information about his olympic history.

The cute little family photo with this three daughters sitting on the stairs is absolutely the house. The picture is probably about 30 years old. I imagine the carpet to be soft and plush (which was not so much the case when we ripped it up. 30 years is hard on carpet. yuck!) The picture in a driveway in front of a white car is also obviously the house. There are also a few others with the kitchen in the background, but they're harder to pick out unless you really know what the kitchen use to look like.


So, thanks for a great house Joel Baba. I'm sure we will enjoy our years in it as much as you did. I really could've gone for a little updated after 1970, but I can see that you were a very busy man, so I guess I'll let it slide.

2 comments:

mcdanika said...

Hi Michelle. I'm sure you have no idea who I am, but I came across your BLOG via Tim Robinson's FB. I was actually childhood friends with Jim growing up. Anyhow, I found this post especially interesting b/c Joel Baba was my first ever Gymnastics coach when I was about 3 years old until about 7. I will have to scan in a couple of pictures that my parents still have and post them for you. Small world. Best of luck to you and Jim with your newest addition.

Mrs. Robinson said...

Kelly. Jim sends a big hello! He actually made that connection somehow, I think maybe we ran into your mom somewhere and it came up. Definitely a small world!