Monday, January 30, 2012

Birthday Stuff

Jim's a ripe old 32 today. Happy Birthday Love! We celebrated yesterday with his family & gluten free carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. YUM!


Gluten free baking still makes me a little nervous but I used Simply Organic Gluten Free mix, have used the mix before to make pumpkin spice bars so was pretty confident it wouldn't turn out terrible. I made a double batch this time to make 2-8 inch round cakes and added in 2 C. of grated carrots and 1/2 C. applesauce and it turned out awesome! For the cream cheese frosting I basically followed this recipe. I don't really measure the powdered sugar, I just add it until it taste right.

He's been really wanting a juicer so I splurged a little and got him a really nice one. I heard if you're going to do just do it right. He seems really happy with it so far. We experimented last night with a carrot apple variety and a beet one that tasted like dirty ginger. I just can't like beets, but I guess I'll keep trying.

Today I was feeling extra energetic and decided it was a good idea to stock up our fridge and pantry. We're filled up with extra veggies & fruits for juicing and some extra snacks for Jim's lunch. Still a yummy glass of beet dirt juice left....any takers?


I'm also working on a batch of creamy cauliflower soup for birthday dinner. It smells sooo good in the kitchen right now. I pretty much made up the recipe but there are lots of ones that sound delicious on the web like this one and this one.


For last years birthday.
and Jim turns 30 here and here.

No comments: