Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Gluten Free. Week 1


I know that no one really wants to hear about my gastrointestinal problems. Let's just say...my shit ain't right and a trial period of 3 weeks gluten free has been recommended. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, & barley. Easy enough, right? Just stay away from bread, pasta, pastries, & anything bread related.

Quite honestly, I don't eat a ton of carb loaded foods anyways. Probably because I already kinda had a hunch that I might have a problem with gluten and was just in denial about it. There are some dietary staples that I'll be missing...Amy's Pizza and burritos, Triscuits, a delicious roll with my turkey burger, rye toast on weekends, beer, and of course the dessert treats like chocolate cake & oatmeal raisin cookies. I can deal. What makes the next 3 weeks a real challenge are all the random foods that are not bread or pasta but contain gluten ingredients...which is pretty much everything!

About a week and a half of surfing the web and researching gluten and one expensive trip to Whole Foods, I gathered enough info and ingredients to put together a gluten free menu for week 1. Sunday night I did a lot of cooking and food preparation for the week and so far haven't noticed a difference in life without gluten.

Quinoa Salad
(original recipe by the dearest Sarah)


Cook according to package directions ( I use the organic Trader Joe's brand)
Let cool.
Mix in chopped veggies. I used red onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, and cucumber.
Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Roasted veggies
(prepared ahead of time for lunch time wraps)
Cut yellow squash, zuchini, onion, and garlic.
Combine in large bowl and toss with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Add rosemary. Fresh is best!
Bake at 350 about 10 minutes. You want the veggies to be undercooked.
Let cool.
Add feta cheese and sliced cherry tomatoes.
Reheat next day and enjoy (gluten free style)
or pile onto a warm wrap or pita bread (gluten filled style) and sprinkle with fresh alfalfa sprouts

Both simple, delicious, and gluten free. Man I love my veggies!
I also made a batch of hard boiled eggs for easy on the go breakfast.

More to come...


No comments: