Saturday, August 21, 2010

Peg Leg-Day 7

One week post injury, and I was really hoping I'd be back in action. Unfortunately, this ankle sprain is no joke.
Over the last seven days it got worse before even thinking about getting better. The swelling was immense and my entire foot turned gangrenous greenish/blackish blue...all the way to my toes. Seriously I didn't even know the little webs between your toes could bruise so dark and purple.

I've been trying my best to keep it elevated, use the crutches, and follow the good 'ole R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation) instructions. I went back to work on Tuesday, but remained limited with my activity and even had a coworker pick me up and chauffeur me around (don't feel badly for him, he was getting paid).

I initiated ABC and circular movements early on; starting applying biofreeze and electric stimulation therapy, and using kinesotape about day 4; infested my system with NSAIDS for the first few days; and increased my fish oil intake while keeping up with my regular vitamin routine. Jim and I eventually were able to make a trip to the health food store and I've switched over to arnica and epsom salt, and started aqua therapy in our pool on Friday. I was hoping to use Boswellia as an anti-inflammatory, but the only brand they had wasn't gluten free, (more on that later) so I had to pass for now.

Now, it hurts. Constant throbbing. And it's more concentrated over what I would diagnosis as the precious injury sites. Yes, sites as in multiple. And those sites are of course located over the anterior talofibular ligament, posterior talofibular ligament, and calcaneofibular ligament: your classic inversion injury.

Provided by Nucleus Communications, Inc.


Combined with lateral gapping with passive inversion and a definite positive anterior drawer sign, we're talking Grade II with a possibility of Grade III. Advanced imaging is probably the next step. I mean I'm no doctor....oh wait...I am a doctor and so is my husband. And in my meer six years of clinical experience involving lots of sports related injuries and, in more recent years, plenty of slip and fall injuries, this is the worst ankle sprain I have ever seen in real life. And it just happens to be my real life. Waaaaaa!!!!

Jim has excelled in his responsibilities as a husband; picking up the extra slack cooking dinner, carrying anything and everything for me, helping with laundry and cleaning, and still pursuing our endless lists of household renovation projects.


SoFee dog has also been a huge help; licking my wounds and keep me company during otherwise lonely periods of confinement while applying ice and elevating my foot. She's also deathly afraid of the crutches and kindly stays out of my way when I'm up and moving around, so there have been no instances of tripping over my bestest ever four legged friend.




1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh man. So sorry to hear about your crippled state Rachelle! The picture of your swollen foot with Jim working in the background cracks me up. :)