Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gluten Free Butternut Squash Lasagna

I proud to report that we just used the last of the butternut squash from our garden in last night dinner.  We just opened the last jar of strawberry jam and only have a small bag of frozen peas and a bag of frozen tomatoes left so spring needs to get her pronto!

I modified this recipe and think it turned out pretty darn good.  The few changes I made included:
  • For the sauce, I steamed the squash using our steamer.  Threw it in the Vitamix with a little water.  Then just added sauteed garlic and a little olive oil.  I used a more finely grated romano/parmesan cheese blend that I had on hand and added about 1/4-1/2 C. I just kind of eye balled it based on the consistency and flavor I was looking for.
  • I substituted gluten free lasagna noodles.  I like the Tinkyada brand which is available at my local grocery store or health food store.  I found that they fell apart a little during cooking but it might have been partially due to my too small pot, so I went for a traditional pan lasagna instead of the roll ups.  I think it was a heck of a lot easier anyways.
  • No egg in the ricotta blend.  Just because I forgot.   
 Prep was the longest part but lasagna one of those things you can make ahead of time and throw in the oven close to dinner time.  It also made a large batch so I'm planning to freeze some of the leftovers for a quick easy dinner after Baby arrives.  

No comments: