Monday, January 13, 2014

My New Year

I know it's already mid January so I'm a little late with the New Year Resolution thing.  When the start of the month and a sparkling new year rolled in I was feeling pretty poor physically and mentally, so the thought of dealing with anything beyond the very basic needs of my family and myself was more than I could handle.  It really threw me for a loop mentally to be feeling so weak and fragile.  I think a lot of it had to do with it being the anticipated birth month of the baby.  Even though I was weeks and weeks away from my 'due date' (I'm currently 37+ weeks) it just seemed like I should have "all my ducks in a row" or at least be putting them there, which was definitely not happening.  Combined with the thought of going into labor when I was already in severe pain with the rib injury put me into mental overload.  Anyways, here I am a few weeks later feeling MUCH better and ready to get this New Year started.

*One of the biggest things I want to be better at this year is making time for myself.  I had a really hard time with this when Riesling was a newborn and know that time in general will be available in even more limited quantities with two little ones, so I'm trying to set my mind to it from the start. As a new mom, I felt very guilty being away from Riesling and felt that no one could quite give her what she needed from me.  Plus breastfeeding is really consuming and she wasn't a fan of bottles.  So, I definitely let her run the show.  I'm not saying that I regret that or think it was the wrong decision, I just think that I need to remember that caring for myself including working out, eating right, and having a little personal time for things like shaving my legs doesn't make me a bad mom.  I know have a gym membership where there is a daycare so I want to make that part of our routine pretty early in the game. 

*This kind of ties in with making time for myself too.  I want to read more.  Even if it's some Oprah book club novels, articles online or listing to books on tape.  I tend to feel pressured to read in depth classic literature or chiropractic research journals.  You really have to be on your A game to get into some of that stuff which means I don't do it.

*Experiment more with food. Once the garden and farmer's markets are in full swing I really want to try some new and exciting recipes and food preservation methods.  I'm in a bit of a rut lately but I'll blame it on the lack of fresh ingredients and my constant heartburn.

“I have the opportunity, once more to right some wrongs, to pray for peace, to plant some trees, and sing more joyful songs.”

~William Arthur Ward

No comments: