Monday, February 21, 2011

No Bake cookies.


I've got a pretty good handle gluten free cooking at this point but baked goods and desserts are a different story. Instead of really learning how to use 'other' flours, I've just kind of avoided baked goods altogether. It's better for my waist line anyways. No Bake cookies just happen to be naturally gluten free so when I get the hankering to be in the kitchen I whip up a quick batch.

*** Just in case there's actually someone that cares about all my gluten free rambling, I should take a minute to mention that there is a bit of controversy consuming oats in a gluten free diet. Oats ARE a gluten free grain. The problem is there is typically a lot of contamination from wheat, rye, and barley in harvesting and processing. You can buy certified gluten free oats, which means they have undergone to assure there has been no contamination. I just usually regular oats. I don't eat oatmeal or oat ingredients everyday, so I don't worry about a wee bit of contamination. I also have a gluten intolerance not celiac disease, so I try to do my best but don't get crazy about it. If you have celiac disease your probably better off checking with you doctor about whether or not oats are suitable for your diet and buying certified gluten free products****

No Bake Cookies
2 C. sugar
1/2 C. milk
1 stick margarine/butter
1/3 C. cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 C. quick oats
1/2 C. peanut butter

Mix oats & peanut butter in large bowl and set aside. Line several cookie sets (or just your countertops) with wax paper. Combine sugar, milk, butter, cocoa, & vanilla in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously so that you don't scorch the milk. Boil for 2 minutes (do not starting timing until you start to see bubbles form). Pour over oats and peanut butter, stir to combine. Move quickly. Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.


No comments: