Monday, February 14, 2011

Sunday

Sundays are my favorite day for cooking. I love working around the house, slow cooking or preparing food for hours, and having a big meal at the end of it. It's relaxing and oddly therapeutic for me. There's just something about all the smells and experimenting and creating new foods that can consume me.Last Sunday I decided on one last batch of chili before the warmer spring temps set in.

Which of course requires cornbread and honey butter glaze....


Although corn bread made sound gluten free, it actually contains wheat flour. I've been closely watching my wheat, barley, and rye intake after a gluten binge several weeks back. It all started when Jim couldn't say no to the little neighbor girl selling girl scout cookies. And who can resist them once they're actually in the house? Three boxes later we landed on birthday cake, cream chicken sandwiches, enchiladas, and tons of other crap that is stuffed full of gluten.

The aftermath was worth the indulgence.

So I've been really, really good about eliminating it from my diet since. I started feeling guilty about the wheat laced corn bread and decided to try a batch of hush puppies. Easy, delicious especially when hot, and recommended.



Hush Puppies
1 C. Yellow Corn Meal
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp minced onion
1/4 C. Milk
1 egg

Sift dry ingredients
Beat milk, egg, and onion.
Add liquid ingredients to dry and blend well.
Form into small balls.
Deep fry in hot oil (370degrees) until golden brown.
Drain on paper towel and serve hot.

*I'm not sure who in my age category has a flour sifter but I'm not one of them...I just used a fork and made sure to break up any chunks and blend any white into the yellow
*I also don't have a tool for mincing onion. I used the Magic Bullet until it was sorta liquidy
*I only had soy milk which I think was the cause of slightly runny batter. I added more corn meal until it was thick enough to form into balls.
*I don't have a deep fry or thermometer. I just heated up enough oil to cover the bottom half of the hush puppy and used a slotted spoon to turn.
*I am not a professional chef


1 comment:

Liz said...

that looks and sounds wonderful! Funny you mention the flour sifter...I was just doing my wedding registry online the other day and picked one out while saying to myself "am I ever going to really use this"...but I figure I probably won't ever buy myself one...so might as well have someone else do it for me! LOL

THanks for that recipe! I'm definately going to try it out!