Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Commuting. Construction. Chaos.

Last night was my first evening drive in what seems like years when I had the window day, the music blaring, and my sunglasses on. Commuting is so much more bearable when there is actually daylight and fresh air!

Thanks to a little channel surfing my playlist included: Fleetwood Mac, DMB, Ween, She & Him, SugarRay, The Fruit Bats, Billy Joel, Bob Marley, The Allman Brothers, Michael Jackson, Charday, some Indie pop bands , and some oldies that I either can't remember or just don't know. It was a solid 45 minutes of loud off key shouting, mumbling through the lyrics I don't know but pretend to, and steering wheel drumming. I'm sure I was quite the sight for my fellow commuters. But, I didn't care. Sunny skies after 6pm make me a little crazy.

(image courtesy of waltsense.com)

Today was a different story. There is major construction on the Blue Route. There has been construction in the same area for quite some time now. I'm typically fairly tolerable to construction. I come from a construction family.

Union men. Men who rise early, drive far, eat from a 'bucket', come home dirty, and are disappointed without 20 hours of overtime. It is part of the reason I didn't starve to death as a child (Thanks Kokosing!). It is the reason my little niece and nephew aren't currently starving to death and instead are prancing around like little GapKids models in sweater vests and fashion denim (shout out to my big brother and Beaver Excavating. woot woot).

But, today I hate construction. I hate new traffic patterns and cattle shoot lanes. I hate commuting even when there's daylight and fresh air. I can't even care about all the little kids not starving because there are what seems like hundreds of hard hats and fluorescent vests working.

The first 3-4 miles of my morning journey now will likely take 20-25 minutes. There's really no avoiding it. Today is a bad day for my relationship with suburbia. If this relationship doesn't start being a little more about give and take, I might have to consider moving on.

No comments: