Tuesday, October 26, 2010

An American Tail


Probably about a month ago, Jim informed me that we had a new friend. A new friend of the rodent type, seen jetting behind the fish tank stand in the basement. I honestly wasn't surprised. We had found 2 dead mice in the pool filter basket over the summer, so I had always assumed there were a few more around. I guess the cold temperatures finally brought them in. And to think, just a week before Jim and I were camped out in our temporary basement sleeping corridors while our hardwood floor were being refinished. It would've been an ugly scence if Mr. Mouse had appeared any earlier!!

But, for whatever reason, I was feeling really guilty about killing the little guy(s). I had seen absolutely no signs of mice upstairs in the kitchen or other living areas, we were no longer living in the basement, and I have to admit there is something kinda cute about mice. I surveyed some coworkers about types of traps and what my options were, but was really taking my good 'ole time putting any kind of plan into action. I decided on the old fashion traps (poison=dead, rotting mice in unknown places; sticky traps=trying to chew off legs and a slow paiful death) and pick up a batch at Home Depot but they remained in the bags for probably 2 weeks until....

Fast forward to October aka candy corn season. It is tradition (in my world at least) to consume mass quanties of candy corn + peanuts (seriously though if you aren't eating this stuff, you're not living life). So, two weekends ago I mixed up a fresh batch on Saturday to enjoy throughout the day while we working all day.


Sunday morning I made my way to the coffee pot in a sleepy daze, half noticing that Jim had picked out most of the peanuts from the remaining mix in the candy dish. That's wierd...why would he pick out the peanuts? The candy corn is obviously the better choice if you're going to pick through the mixture. And what's this? A few random candy corn on the opposite side of the kitchen. Boy, that husband of mine is a slob!

Many apologizes for my bad thoughts Jim. It wasn't you at all.

It was Mr. Mouse or perhaps Mr & Mrs. Mouse and all there neighborhood mice friends (there was seriously a large amount of peanuts missing!) Somehow I didn't know that peanuts (or peanut butter) are the preferred food of those damn rodents. Not only did they ruin my batch of candy corn, but they left a filthy trail of mouse poop all over my kitchen; resulting in rewashing the dishes that had been drying on the counter overnight,an wiping down EVERYTHING in the kitchen, twice. Naturally, I lost any sense of guilt about abolishing the bastards and set Jim on a mission to set up the traps and masacare anything that even resemebled a mouse.

The very next day, we successfully capture and killed (a fast, instant death I assure you) one. And the remaining traps have been untouched. Beware...

No comments: