Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Veggie Tales


Who eats kale, right? Aside from the occasional appearance in a soup, I never did...until recently. I think most people think of the semi-slimey consistancy of kale in a soup and assume it will cook up that way. Well, my friend, this recipe is super simple and makes a great crunchy side dish and it's super healthy and loaded with vitamins.

Roasted Kale

4 C. firmly packed kale
1 Tbsp olive oil
Sea salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Wash & trim kale, removing any hard stem pieces (at our local grocery store it's mostly trimmed up and ready to go, so I just sort through and break off any remaining stem). Toss with olive oil.
Roast 5 minutes. Toss. Return to oven for an additional 5-7 minutes or until it turns a crispy (kind of brittle) and starts to brown on the edges.

Warning. 4 cups looks like a lot when you start but it cooks down A LOT!

Also pictured above:
Southern style eggplant (It was freakin' delicious!!)

I've had issue trying to make eggplant recipes in the past, but this one was a hit. I choose this recipe because it used corn meal, making it gluten free. I think the key to my success this time around was draining out the excess water. I didn't have buttermilk on hand (and didn't feel like leaving my house to get some) so I found this little trick with the help of a little google searching....

Buttermilk substitute
slightly less than 1 C. milk (I actually used soy because that's all I had)
1 Tbsp white vinegar

Add white vinegar to empty measuring cup. Add milk until it reaches the 1 C. line. Let stand for 5 minutes. Use required amount for the recipe you're using. It actually looks really gross, but tasty like buttermilk in some wierd way.

The pasta pictured is the elbow style Bionaturae, making this gluten free, vegetarian, healthy, and delicious.

No comments: