Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Gluten Free Favorites

1)
chunky peanut butter protein bar

I kinda wish these had a different name. I don't like thinking of them as a "diet" food. I actually starting eating these before my gluten free-ish days because they have a ton of protein and no sugar, which is perfect for my post morning workout snack. And now an added bonus that they are gluten free. You can find them at Trader Joe's, WholeFoods, or purchase them on the website. My favorite is the chunky peanut butter ( i don't really care for the chocolate/fudge ones).

2) Bionaturae GF Pasta
Also organic so that's a plus. I've tried the elbow variety first, thinking somehow that a smaller shape was less likely to taste different than regular pasta. I don't know...it just seemed to make sense. I made it as a side with plain red sauce and a little cheese. Jim said he could definitely tell the difference but it was Ok and he would eat it again...he knew ahead of time that it was GF pasta. Last night I made the rigatoni with a spicy ground turkey meat sauce and lovely big chunks of steamed aspargus, sprinkled with parmasean. It was so YUMMY. Jim commented that he loved pasta and should eat more of it... this time he did NOT know ahead of time that it was GF pasta.

3) Bob's Red Mill GF Brownie Mix

The company makes a really extensive line of GF products, but I have only tried the brownie mix so far. The texture was a bit gooey and kinda cake-like all at once...if that's possibly, but the flavor was just as good as any regular brownie mix. I added chocolate chips but think I will try a icing/frosting of some sort the next time. I brought a batch to work and the were gone by the end of the day (not mentioning the words 'gluten free' is key here!) I'm planning to try more products in the future. They get really great reviews and offer a lot of variety in pre-made mixes and GF flours and grains. Although gluten free baking is definitely a whole different ballgame from cooking, so I think I need to do some more research & planning before I get to crazy with it.

4) French Vanilla Coffee-mate

A dear old friend... Thankfully GF, requiring no changes in my morning coffee routine. (check out the website for printable coupons!)


5) Potatoes
I don't know why but somewhere along the line I got away from eating a lot of potatoes. But, now there back in full swing. Baked, mashed, home-fried...I'm loving it. I also think it's comforting to know that I can order them as a side dish if we're out to eat...especially for breakfast at the local diner..." cheese and spinach omelette with home fries, no toast please"

I've also been cooking up some damn cook dishes using corn meal and tortillas...Hopefully I'll get some time to post some recipes this week. The cool temperatures really have me in the mood for cooking!

No comments: