Thursday, October 14, 2010

Soup

So the problem with kale, at least at my local grocery store, is that you can't buy just a little. The bag is HUGE, not only taking up way too much space in the fridge, but also requiring a lot of kale consumption.

So, in addition to a couple of nights of roasted kale, I made made up a batch of soup. It was kind of a hodge-podge recipe (I was trying to use up a lot of left-over veggies) but turned out really tasty.


Veggie Soup with Spicy sausage and Kale
Ingredient
(oh by the way I don't really measure stuff when making up my own recipes)

carrots
celery
yellow or spanish onion
italian sausage (I used spicy)
1 can diced tomatoes
chicken stock
kale
salt, pepper, italian seasoning
  • Wash, trim and dice carrots, celery, and onion. I like soups to be a little chunky so I keep everything on the larger side.
  • Sautee in soup pot with a little olive oil with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning on medium to medium-high heat.
  • When onions start to look a little 'sweaty', add in italian sausage, remove the casing and pinch off chunks.
  • Sautee until sausage browns, stirring often.
  • Add chicken stock. I added 2 cartoons of the Trader Joe's low sodium brand. I always keep this stuff on hand, especially in the winter, and just kinda eyeball it according to how many veggies I have in the pot.
  • Simmer 10-15 minutes.
  • Add 1 can diced tomatoes, including the juice.
  • Simmer until your hearts desire...or until the veggies and soft and it's nice as steamy hot.
  • Add kale (no stems) at the last minute and cook.

Serve and enjoy!


No comments: